Hey kiddos, just a random post to let you know it’s Alex’s birthday! I can’t tell you how crucial he is to this blog, as he kept it afloat while I moved, had a baby, and wasn’t getting any sleep. So even though he doesn’t like The Big Lebowski, he’s pretty important around here. Alex I hope you have a great birthday and thanks for keeping this blog on track. Happy birthday buddy, Now get back to work!!
Ah, who hasn’t spent an afternoon at the park reading the newest issue of Wonder Woman or Super Girl and diddling themselves for hours? Just us!? Well…. ok. We were just kidding then. There’s nothing quite like seeing a comic book you’ve read for years brought to the big screen. Sometimes it works (Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight, Sin City) and sometimes it is a clusterfuck (Jonah Hex, Superman, Electra), but we are the saps that will see them all. We’ve picked out half a dozen movies that, for the most part, were not well received, but there is still something enjoyable in most of them. So fanboys & fangirls, stay tuned to see what comic gems we’ve picked out. Excelsior!
That’s right, the Men on Film have a new friend, well actually friends, Jim and Josh put out a bad movie podcast every week, and it’s an audio version of what we sort of do, except sometimes we actually watch movies that we like. So as a favor to us, and to yourselves give them a listen, and rate/review them on iTunes, it’s totally worth it! Find them at http://badmoviepodcast.com/
Welcome back, kiddos. Did everyone have a good May? Sorry to hear that; hope that rash clears up soon and she lifts that restraining order, you two really do belong together no matter what she says. Anyway… June has The Men on Film bringing you the reviews from May’s contest winners, lots of requested reviews and a week full of kung fu movie reviews - hi-ya! School is out so we hope to pick up some more readers from our target demographic (boys 4-7 & girls 6-8), but it always helps for you to spread the word so we don’t have to rely on little kids to read this, even though it looks like it was written by them.
Stay Safe Out There – Alex & Tim
We finish up our top 100 comedies by decade list with the most recent decade + 1 year.
25. – Best in Show – Pine nut, oak nut, peanut,….. one of the greatest improvisational movies of all time.
24. - National Lampoon’s Van Wilder – Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds, that is all you need to say about that.
23. – Zoolander -This movie is really, really, ridiculously good-looking, funny.
22. - Forgetting Sarah Marshall - The best movie with inanimate vampires since Twilight!
21. – Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story – Is it necessary for you to drink your own urine? Probably not, but it’s sterile and you like the taste.
20. – Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story – This ‘true story’ is just a spoof of Walk the Line, but damn is it funny. The scene with the Beatles is great, as is Jenna Fischer in a skimpy clothes.
19. – Waiting… - Whether it’s the Brain, the Batwing or the Goat… you don’t want to look.
18. – Hot Fuzz – Have you ever watched this great buddy cop movie whilst flying through the air firing two guns at the same time?
17. – Napolean Dynamite -Gosh! Whatever! Uncle Rico, Kip, and Pedro join in on this offbeat adventure that is surprisingly funny. Your Mom goes to College.
16. – Harald & Kumar go to White Castle – NPH!!! Even though he’s tripping balls the entire time, he makes that movie.
15. – Scary Movie – While the sequels and all of the other ‘____ Movie’ spin-off are pretty awful, there was a reason those were made: the original was so funny.
14. – Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby – If you’re not first your last! So bring the Shake and Bake and strap in for some high-speed hi jinx.
13. – Step Brothers - Even if you have a stomach full of white dog crap, there is always room for this flick at the Catalina Wine Mixer. POW!
12. – Shaun of the Dead -Very close to being one of the very best zombie movies ever made. Oh did we mention it’s funny as hell?
11. – Wedding Crashers -Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Bradley Cooper, and cameos galore is in this great comedy.
10. – Tropic Thunder – Whether you’re a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude, or you’re just thirsty for some Booty Sweat you’ll love this one… plus Tom Curise in a fat suit!
9. – Grandma’s Boy – A stoner comedy about video games and chicks. What else do you need to know, Greybush. What’s high score mean, did I break it?
8. – Superbad - I see you’ve been dancing with a girl too. What teen comedies used to be!
7. – Black Dynamite -Interrupt your Kung-Fu and watch this masterpiece! The baddest movie about the baddest dude, ever.
6. – Super Troopers – The best movie by the Broken Lizard crew, and is super quotable to boot.
5. – Borat: Culturing Learnings for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakstan – Is great success.
4. – The Hangover – Who hasn’t woken up missing a tooth in Vegas with a tiger in their room, it hits so close to home.
3. – The 40-year-Old Virgin – An all-star comedy cast with nothing but laughs throughout. And it is true: if you don’t use it, you lose it.
2. – Old School – Two of the funnies guys alive in one of the funniest movies ever. You’re my boy, Blue!
1. – Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Will Ferrel don’t get any funnier than this. Sixty percent of the time, you’ll laugh every time… you filthy pirate hooker.
Let us know what we left off!
Not only is May 23rd National Taffy Day and World Turtle Day, it’s also Tim’s Birthday! It’s been a big year for Timmy: he got married, was able to achieve an erection long enough to impregnate his wife and they are expecting their first child this fall. All that stuff is alright, but the most important thing he did this past year was start this blog with me; without him this would just be Man on Film and there would be a lot more spelling errors. So happy birthday, butt plug.
Thanks to Generaltomfoolery.com for this picture of Tim on his way to church.